Castor oil is extracted from the seeds of the plant Ricinis communis. According to Black Doctor.org, castor oil has many uses. These include uses for health and beauty. Castor oil helps with managing split ends, treating skin conditions such as acne, pain management, and promoting digestive health. Furthermore, castor oil is an excellent moisturizer for the face.
These benefits explain why castor oil is a common ingredient in hair and beauty products.
Black castor oil (e.g., from Jamaica or Haiti), that is extracted using the traditional roasting method, is said to be especially good for Afro-textured hair. This method increases the mineral and alkaline levels within the castor oil. Consequently, black castor oil serves as a moisturizer of both the hair and skin, and can promote hair growth. In choosing a castor oil then, it is a good idea to consider the type and method of extraction. When selecting a castor oil, consider the following black owned brands.
- Anita Grant (Organic Virgin Castor Oil, 2.02 ounces, approximate $8.00 converted from British pound; Monoi de Tahiti Castor Hair Oil, 3.38 ounces, approximately $27.00 converted from British pound)
- Asim Supreme Products (Jamaican Black Castor Oil with vitamin E, minerals, protein and antibacterial, 4 ounces, $8.99).
- Kreyôl Essence (Haitian Black Castor Oil, Original, 3.4 ounces $15.00, 8 ounces $22.00; Haitian Black Castor Oil 128 ounces, $120.00)
- NBI All Natural (Pure Castor Oil, 4 ounces, $10.00)
- Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil (Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Skin Repair, 4 ounces, $9.99, 8 ounces $11.99; Sunny Isle Extra Dark Jamaican Black Castor Oil, 4 ounces, $7.99)
- Taliah Waajid (Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Original, 4 ounces, $6.99)
Follow our Blog
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & Pinterest
- Atkins, Chelsea. “What’s the difference between Jamaican and Haitian black castor oil?” 7 July, 2015 https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/whats-the-difference-between-jamaican-haitian-black-castor-oil
- Black Doctor.org. “9 strange yet effective uses for castor oil.” 2 March, 2017. https://blackdoctor.org/512608/9-strange-yet-effective-uses-for-castor-oil/
- Hairnbyutwriter. Black Hair Spot. “What is Jamaican black castor oil? https://blackhairspot.com/blog/hair-talk/what-is-jamaican-black-castor-oil/
- Kandola, Aaron. “Benefits of castor oil for the face and skin.” 28 October, 2017. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319844.php
- Watson, LaToya. “3 differences between castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil.” 12 March, 2015. http://www.naturalhairrules.com/differences-castor-oil-jamaican-black-castor-oil/
- Wikipedia, 22 December, 2017. “Castor Oil.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil