As Mother’s Day approaches you may be considering what item(s) can truly express the gratitude, honor, and esteem you hold for the women (e.g., mother, grandmother, aunt) who raised you. While no tokens can fully convey these sentiments, appreciation can be expressed with a gift. If you are considering a handbag, take note of some recent trends. These include handbags that are (i) circular or rounded, (ii) made of straw, wicker or other natural fibers, and (iii) fit as a belt or fanny pack. Textured and embellished handbags are also trending, especially bags which contain fringe. Furthermore, bucket bags, backpacks, clutches, and handbags in vivid colors remain popular. In making a selection, there are plenty of ways to find these trends from black owned handbag brands, and at a variety of price points, from higher end to less than $100.00.
‘Luxury brands’ range from moderate pricing ($100 – 300) to high end. In reviewing these, I saw a pattern of impeccable quality, locally made products, and the use of organic and sustainable materials.
The 17/18 collection at AAKS (season 4) embodies recent trends. Textured purses handcrafted in Ghana from high quality raffia (a palm tree indigenous to tropical regions of Africa) come in vibrant colors. Bucket and circular/rounded styles are included in the new season. Prices are in pounds and moderate ($$). Adele Dejak also offers handcrafted bags made of woven raffia textile fabric. Their Atoti Bakuba day bag will inspire you with geometric patterns, leather details and brass ringed styled handles. Prices are higher end ($$$). Ashya offers waist/belt bags in vivid and neutral colors. They are hand stitched, made of leather, combinations of leather and suede, or leather and lamb shearling. Prices are high end ($$$).
You will find circular, and other handcrafted and woven bags made of Indonesian palm leaves at Brother Vellies; they also offer “goat mini bags” made of shearling. Island Niche has several offerings of “side muir bags” made of patterned burlap, leather, and brass. Prices range from moderate ($$) to higher end ($$$). Orijin Culture offers leather handbags in the shape of the African continent in multiple and vivid colors.
Love Cortnie offers made to order, bucket style bags in a variety of sizes, colors, and textures such as leather bags with tassels and bags made of Mongolian fur. Prices are moderate ($$). SK Wilbur offers handcrafted backpacks and other styles such as a crossbody messenger made of leather and denim, and a leather tote with hashtag embellishments (e.g., #blacklivesmatter, #metoo). Urban Heirlooms mas multiple styles of handbags made of leather and lace, including circular/rounded styled bags. Prices range from moderate ($$) to high end ($$$).
Minku offers bucket and other styled bags in snakeskin textures and leather, and in a multitude of colors. Zaaf offers leather handbags embellished with Ethopian motiffs. Zashadu has clutch styles made of various textures (e.g., ostrich, goat skin, and lizard) and in vivid colors. Prices are higher end ($$$).
Brandon Blackwood, Gregory Silva, and Vavvoune have many styles of classic and leather handbags. Some of our favorites include the Portmore bags from Brandon Blackwood, the Agnes Crossbody and Natalia styles from Gregory Silva, and the drawstring bags from Vavvoune. Prices range from moderate ($$) to high end ($$$).
LESS THAN $100
There are also many black owned handbag brands with products less than $100.00. These items are often handmade and include trendy details.
- 2Chic Designs offers several clutch bags with African styled print, including some with ring handles. They also offer the “cork clutch” textured bag.
- 86 & Norman offers wallets, wristlets, clutches, and other handbags in a variety of printed and Ankara fabrics.
- elle Hattíe also offers a “cork clutch” in addition to clutches made of various fabric combinations such as leather and cotton.
- Christoff Davis has many styles of zippered clutch bags with printed designs, some of which (e.g., the queen mother) seem especially fitting for mother’s day.
- Hesey Designs offers different styled bags (e.g., totes, mini) in Ankara prints.
- Meme Bete among other styles, has cross body bags with leather fringe and Ankara fabric.
- Purse Paparazzi has a variety of cultural and socially conscious themed purses. These include historically black colleges and universities, and Obama themed handbags.
- Toya in the Clutch offers clutches made of kente cloth and Ankara fabric.
I hope you find a handbag that is right for you or a loved one.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie is offering a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find 1000+ inexpensive and fabulous items for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is 300+ items for $10.00 and less, 200+ items from $10.01 to $15.00, and 500+ items from $15.01 to $25.00. Great sales at 50% off are also posted. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! There will be updates and posts throughout the year. You can sign up HERE for the low cost of $4.95 per year.
Feel free to message Shop With Leslie with any questions through our contact form
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- Featured photounsplash-logoMonika Grabkowska
- Miller, Randy. “These handbags are worth the wait.” 3 October, 2017. https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/Spring-2018-Bag-Trends-43976374
- Togerson, Rachel. “14 stunning bag trends you’ll want stat.” https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/g12138498/spring-2018-bag-trends/ 19 September, 2017