As Mother’s Day approaches you may be considering what item(s) can truly express the gratitude, honor, and esteem you hold for the women (e.g., mother, grandmother, aunt) who raised you. While no tokens can fully convey these sentiments, appreciation can be expressed with a gift. In doing so, consider the MANY hand bags from black owned brands, which are available at a variety of price points, from higher end to less than $100.00.
If you are considering a handbag, take note of some recent trends. These include handbags that are (i) circular or rounded, (ii) made of straw, wicker or other natural fibers, and (iii) fit as a belt or fanny pack. Textured and embellished handbags are also trending, especially bags which contain fringe. Furthermore, bucket bags, backpacks, clutches, and handbags in vivid colors remain popular.
Accented Glory is a sponsor of Shop With Leslie and we appreciate their support! We encourage your to check out their company and product links and explore.
|Accented Glory||Accented Glory offers a selection of rattan round bags adorned with cowrie shells. Bags are lined and have an inside pocket. Items are available in their Facebook SHOP.|
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For these advertisements, at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the link in making a purchase.
‘Luxury brands’ range from moderate pricing ($100 – 300) to high end. In reviewing these, I saw a pattern of impeccable quality, locally made products, and the use of organic and sustainable materials.
The 17/18 collection at AAKS (season 4) embodies recent trends. Textured purses handcrafted in Ghana from high quality raffia (a palm tree indigenous to tropical regions of Africa) come in vibrant colors. Bucket and circular/rounded styles are included in the new season. Prices are in pounds and moderate ($$). Adele Dejak also offers handcrafted bags made of woven raffia textile fabric. Their Atoti Bakuba day bag will inspire you with geometric patterns, leather details and brass ringed styled handles. Prices are higher end ($$$). Ashya offers waist/belt bags in vivid and neutral colors. They are hand stitched, made of leather, combinations of leather and suede, or leather and lamb shearling. Prices are high end ($$$).
You will find circular, and other handcrafted and woven bags made of Indonesian palm leaves at Brother Vellies; they also offer “goat mini bags” made of shearling. Orijin Culture offers leather handbags in the shape of the African continent in multiple and vivid colors. They are available on Amazon.
Love Cortnie offers made to order, bucket style bags in a variety of sizes, colors, and textures such as leather bags with tassels and bags made of Mongolian fur. Prices are moderate ($$). SK Wilbur offers handcrafted backpacks and other styles such as a crossbody messenger made of leather and denim, and a leather tote with hashtag embellishments (e.g., #blacklivesmatter, #metoo). Urban Heirlooms (advertisement) has multiple styles of handbags made of leather and lace, including circular/rounded styled bags. Prices range from moderate ($$) to high end ($$$).
Minku offers bucket and other styled bags in snakeskin textures and leather, and in a multitude of colors. Zaaf offers leather handbags embellished with Ethopian motiffs. Zashadu has clutch styles made of various textures (e.g., ostrich, goat skin, and lizard) and in vivid colors. Prices are higher end ($$$).
Brandon Blackwood and Vavvoune have many styles of classic and leather handbags. Some of our favorites include the Portmore bags from Brandon Blackwood, the Agnes Crossbody and Natalia styles from Gregory Silva, and the drawstring bags from Vavvoune. Prices range from moderate ($$) to high end ($$$).
LESS THAN $100
There are also many black owned handbag brands with products less than $100.00. These items are often handmade and include trendy details.
- 2Chic Designs (advertisement) offers several clutch bags with African styled print, including some with ring handles. They also offer the “cork clutch” textured bag.
- Belle Hattíe (advertisement) also offers a “cork clutch” in addition to clutches made of various fabric combinations such as leather and cotton.
- 86 & Norman offers wallets, wristlets, clutches, and other handbags in a variety of printed and Ankara fabrics.
- Christoff Davis has many styles of zippered clutch bags with printed designs, some of which (e.g., the queen mother) seem especially fitting for mother’s day.
- Hesey Designs offers different styled bags (e.g., totes, mini) in Ankara prints.
- Meme Bete among other styles, has cross body bags with leather fringe and Ankara fabric.
- Purse Paparazzi has a variety of cultural and socially conscious themed purses. These include historically black colleges and universities, and Obama themed handbags.
I hope you find a handbag that is right for you or a loved one.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie is offering a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find 1000+ inexpensive and fabulous items for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is 300+ items for $10.00 and less, 200+ items from $10.01 to $15.00, and 500+ items from $15.01 to $25.00. Great sales at 50% off are also posted. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! Great sales at 50% off are also posted. You can sign up HERE for the low cost of $12.00 per year. Or consider the following.
Feel free to message Shop With Leslie with any questions through our contact form
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- Featured photo Monika Grabkowska on Unplash
- Miller, Randy. “These handbags are worth the wait.” 3 October, 2017. https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/Spring-2018-Bag-Trends-43976374
- Togerson, Rachel. “14 stunning bag trends you’ll want stat.” https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/g12138498/spring-2018-bag-trends/ 19 September, 2017