Oral care is a routine part of our health and hygienic practices, and in doing so there are plenty of opportunities to support black owned brands. This includes toothbrush replacement as the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends replacing one’s toothbrush every 3 – 4 months. In reviewing black owned companies with oral care products, I found that most offer tooth powders. Tooth powders are known NOT to contain some of the questionable ingredients found in toothpaste such as propylene glycol, triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate, diethanolamine, and fluoride. In contrast, tooth powders tend to contain active charcoal, bentonite clay, baking soda, salt, and oils (e.g., peppermint and coconut) that help clean and remineralize the teeth, and remove plaque. Though the ADA requires fluoride in toothpastes in order to meet their seal of acceptance, it is also recommended that individuals brush at least twice a day. As such, one could chose to alternate between tooth- pastes and -powders.
Other products include mouthwashes that are alcohol free, and that incorporate the “oil pulling” method. The oil pulling method is based on Ayurvedic medicinal practices, and found to be helpful towards fighting plaque, gingivitis, and bad breath. See the companies below for more information.
- All Things O’ Natural offers a herbal tooth powder and an oral mouth rinse.
- BLK + GRN offers an organic remineralizing tooth powder and an all natural fluoride free mouthwash. A copper tongue scrapper is also available.
- Coral Oral offers toothbrushes with distinctive bristle patterns.
- Cream & Coco offers a smile butter remineralizing tooth soap in various flavors.
- Freedom Paper Company offers a 100% natural peppermint neem toothpaste from Shea of Life.
- Garner’s Garden offers oral care products for children and adults. These include tooth powders, natural mouth washes, a pre-brush oral rinse that is an improvement of the oil pulling method, and a natural breath freshener spray.
- Herbaceutikals offers a herbal mint tooth powder for which you can select enhanced ingredients (e.g., neem or charcoal).
- Meta Naturals offers a charred bamboo whitening dental polish to brighten smiles and freshen breath.
- Natural Passion offers a remineralizing toothpaste with activated charcoal, and an Earnestine mouthwash.
- Soapiphiny offers several types of tooth powders and an oil pulling mouthwash in different flavors.
- Sprëtz offers a 2 in 1 breath and hand freshening spray.
After reviewing this list, I hope you find oral care products that work for you.
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr
See the References below for more information.
- American Dental Association (ADA). “Oral health topics: Toothpastes.” https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/toothpastes
- Carefree Dental. “Should you be using dental powder instead of toothpaste?” 22 March, 2016 https://www.carefreedental.com/resources/16-dental-tips/101-should-you-be-using-dental-powder-instead-of-toothpaste
- Lynch, William. “What are the harmful ingredients in toothpaste?” 14 August, 2017. https://www.livestrong.com/article/167101-what-are-the-harmful-ingredients-in-toothpaste/
- Mouth Healthy. “Brushing your teeth.” https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/brushing-your-teeth
- Oakley, Colleen. “Should you try oil pulling?” https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/oil-pulling