Updated July 12, 2023
As the end of summer approaches, you may be in the market for notebooks, backpacks, and other supplies for the start of the school year. As such there are culturally representative options from black owned brands. See the following companies and product links for more details.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission, should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Shop With Leslie on Redbubble has a selection of culturally representative and affirming school supplies. These include spiral notebooks, mouse pads, laptop skins, laptop sleeves, and zippered pouches. Stickers and magnets to promote learning engagement are also available.
- Be Rooted at Target (advertisement) has spiral notebooks, pens, journals, and planners.
- Boutique Mix (advertisement) offers a selection of engraved pencil sets that incorporate the African continent in the lettering. Pouches are also available.
- Brown Girl Bag Company (advertisement) has a selection of culturally representative lunch boxes and book bags. Personalization is available.
- Flawless and Beautiful (advertisement) has an extensive selection of spiral notebooks with representative cultural themes.
- For The People Boutique (advertisement) offers matching back to school supplies (e.g., notebook and lunch bag) where you can specify the grade.
- Hustle Kulture Brand (advertisement) has culturally representative backpacks and lunch bags. Personalization is available.
- Jadore New York Couture (advertisement) has an extensive selection of lunch bags and backpacks that are culturally representative. Personalization is available.
- Lenie Alexis Designs (advertisement) offers personalized back to school pencil cases and crayon boxes in diverse styles and colors.
- Not Afraid Novelties (advertisement) offers a diverse selection of thematic backpacks and lunch bags for boys and girls. Products are available in several sizes, and children with physical disabilities are included in their representation.
- Sibahle Collection (advertisement) offers a selection of trolley sets and backpack sets. Lunch bags are also available.
- Black Girl Powerhouse offers a selection of thematic backpacks for boys and girls (e.g., school girls). A natural girls lunch bag is also available.
- Entrepreneurs Color Too has a package of colored pencils in various shades of brown to reflect diverse skin tones. Pencils are also available on Amazon (advertisement).
- G & G Paper Co. has a selection of culturally representative spiral notebooks and back packs for children.
- Innovative Supplies offers several themed spiral notebooks. Different styles of paper can be selected (i.e., college and wide ruled). Notebooks are handmade in the USA.
- Makeba Design and Prints offers a variety of supplies under their “products” category. These include different themed pencil pouches, lunch bags, face masks, and backpacks.
- NikNax Stationery has a selection of culturally themed notebooks for right- and left-handed individuals, as well as themed writing instruments.
- Modern Figures Podcast offers a selection of backpacks celebrating women and girls in computing. Laptop sleeves are also available.
- UR Revolution has diverse school supplies that highlight the inclusion of individuals with chronic illnesses or disabilities. These include notebooks, backpacks, and laptop sleeves.
I hope in reviewing these companies and products, you find school supplies that work for you.
Also, check out Shop With Leslie’s online store where you will find eco friendly clothing and accessories. Shipping is free! Select merchandise is featured below.
Shop With Leslie also has ETSY and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find my Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A mixture of products is provided below.
Photo Credit: Tamarcus Brown