You will find 100+ dolls from black owned brands in this post to suit a range of tastes and budgets. These include 18 inch dolls, boy dolls, rag and mermaid dolls, collector’s items and more.
As I seek out dolls for friends and family, I have found authentic representation in black owned brands. That is, dolls that represent a cross section of African likeness and style, capturing the nuances of hair texture, facial features, skin tone, personality, and more. Watching the reactions of children when they see and play with these dolls is rewarding. Though they may not be able to articulate the resemblances and familiarity, their reactions speak louder than words. See the following companies and product links for more information.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For these advertisements, at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the links in making a purchase.
- 54kibo (advertisement) offers a selection of handmade and crocheted stuffed animals and dolls, including a boy doll.
- Beautiful Curly Me (advertisement) has a selection of dolls with braided hair and curly afros. Use the code leslie for a 10% discount.
- Cinnamon Annie (Step Stitches) (advertisement) offers a large selection of rag dolls in diverse melanin hues, including boy rag dolls.
- The Qai Qai Doll is available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Cultural Interiors offers a handcrafted “Bailey’s little people” doll that is available in different skin tones. An “Olive Rose” doll is also available.
- Double Dutch Dolls offers a selection of 18 inch “African American fashion dolls” based on twins Zaria and Kaila.
- Fresh Dolls Store offers a selection of dolls that includes a Black Panther collection.
- Gifted Hands 4MeByU offers a range of one of a kind crocheted dolls that are ready to ship, and dolls that can be customized according to skin tone, hair, and clothing.
- HarperIman offers a selection of handmade 16 – 20 inch dolls, crafted from linen and linen like materials, with a range of textured hairstyles.
- Herstory Doll offers a selection of first edition 18 inch dolls in medium brown and dark skin tones.
- Ikuzi Dolls offers a selection of 18 inch dolls in various skin tones and styles, and a selection of mermaid dolls.
- QuèllyRue offers handmade and one-of-a-kind dolls such as the “sleeping swaddled” and “turbanista” dolls. More dolls are also available.
- Nana Dolls offers a selection of dolls fashioned after African freedom fighters. The dolls have textured hair and are clothed in Ankara prints.
- Natural Girls United offers a selection of dolls representing natural hair textures with locs, braids, Afros, and more.
AND EVEN MORE DOLLS
- Tammy B Creations offers one of a kind, custom made crocheted dolls (e.g., by skin tone, hair, and more).
- The Black Unicorn Shop has a variety of plush brown unicorn dolls.
In reviewing these companies and products, I hope you find dolls that work for you.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie has ETSY and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find my Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A mixture of products is provided below.