You will find 100+ dolls from black owned brands in this post to suit a range of tastes and budgets. These include 18 inch dolls, boy dolls, rag and mermaid dolls, collector’s items and more.
As I seek out dolls for friends and family, I have found authentic representation in black owned brands. That is, dolls that represent a cross section of African likeness and style, capturing the nuances of hair texture, facial features, skin tone, personality, and more. Watching the reactions of children when they see and play with these dolls is rewarding. Though they may not be able to articulate the resemblances and familiarity, their reactions speak louder than words. See the following companies and product links for more information.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For these advertisements, at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the links in making a purchase.
- Cultural Interiors offers a handcrafted “Bailey’s little people” doll that is available in different skin tones. An “Olive Rose” doll is also available.
- Double Dutch Dolls offers a selection of 18 inch “African American fashion dolls” based on twins Zaria and Kaila.
- Fresh Dolls Store offers a selection of dolls in which girl and boy dolls are represented. A selection of 18 inch baby dolls are also offered. Some dolls are available on Amazon.
- Gifted Hands 4MeByU offers a range of one of a kind crocheted dolls that are ready to ship, and dolls that can be customized according to skin tone, hair, and clothing.
- HarperIman offers a selection of handmade 16 – 20 inch dolls, crafted from linen and linen like materials, with a range of textured hairstyles.
- Herstory Doll offers a selection of first edition 18 inch dolls in medium brown and dark skin tones.
- Ikuzi Dolls offers a selection of 18 inch dolls in various skin tones and styles, and a selection of mermaid dolls. Products are available on Amazon (Advertisement).
- Kimani Custom Dolls offers a selection of customized dolls. These include the custom flower fairies in blue and the 18 inch kidz personalized plush doll.
- QuèllyRue offers handmade and one-of-a-kind dolls such as the “sleeping swaddled” and “turbanista” dolls. More dolls are also available.
- Makedaa Dolls offers a selection of dolls of various sizes with Afros and dresses made by an African designer.
- Nana Dolls offers a selection of dolls fashioned after African freedom fighters. The dolls have textured hair and are clothed in Ankara prints.
- Natural Girls United offers a selection of dolls representing natural hair textures with locs, braids, Afros, and more.
- Queens of Africa Dolls offers a selection of dolls with various skin tones and hair textures. Products are available on Amazon (Advertisement).
AND EVEN MORE DOLLS
- Sibahle Collection offers a variety of dolls including the Bontle, Nobuhle, and Rainbow Nation collections.
- Tammy B Creations offers one of a kind, custom made crocheted dolls (e.g., by skin tone, hair, and more).
In reviewing these companies and products, I hope you find dolls that work for you.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie is now offering a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find 1000+ gifts for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is 300+ gifts for $10.00 and less, 200+ gifts from $10.01 to $15.00, and 500+ gifts from $15.01 to $25.00. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! There will be updates and posts throughout the year. Sign up HERE for the low cost of $4.95 a year.
Feel free to message Shop With Leslie with any questions through our contact form.
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr