The controversies surrounding talcum powder stem from the link between talc and ovarian cancer when used in the genital area, and between talc and lung cancer if the talc is contaminated with asbestos and inhaled. Moreover, it has been reported that despite being aware of the association between talc use and ovarian cancer, Johnson and Johnson escalated their marketing of talcum power to African Americans. Consequently, there have been numerous law suits against this company for not being transparent. Individuals use body or baby powder for a variety of reasons, some of which seem inextricably linked to African American culture. It is useful then to explore talc free options from black owned brands. See the companies and products links below for more details.
The table below represents SPONSORS of Shop With Leslie and we appreciate their support! You are encouraged to click their product links and explore!
|Garner's Garden||Garner's Garden offers an all natural talc free powder, that is safe for children and adults. Free shipping on orders over $55.00. |
- Daükens Arôme Co. offers a dusting powder in multiple scents and sizes.
- Meta Naturals offers a tiny caterpillars baby powder.
- Naturally Me and You offers a natural herbal baby powder that comes in unscented or lavender, and an under there everywhere body powder in unscented or peppermint.
- Sister Shareefah offers a variety of “powder power” products in different sizes and scents (e.g., jasmine vanilla).
- Smell Good Spa offers an essentials deodorant powder for which you can choose the essential oil and scent.
In reviewing these companies and products I hope you find a talc free powder product that suits your needs!
ALSO, Shop With Leslie is offering a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find 1000+ gifts for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is 300+ gifts for $10.00 and less, 200+ gifts from $10.01 to $15.00, and 500+ gifts from $15.01 to $25.00. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! There will be updates and posts throughout the year. Sign up HERE for FREE using the coupon code SWL through January 1, 2019.
Feel free to message Shop With Leslie with any questions through our contact form.
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- American Cancer Society. “Talcum powder and cancer.” Last Revision, 4 December, 2018. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/talcum-powder-and-cancer.html
- Berifield Susan, Cronin Fisk Margaret, Feeley Jef. 31 March, 2016. “Johnson & Johnson has a baby powder problem.” https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-baby-powder-cancer-lawsuits/
- Tinsley, Omise’eke Natasha. “Profiting from the myths about black women’s bodies.” 6 April, 2016. http://time.com/4280707/johnson-and-johnson-black-women/