This post is dedicated to two African American entrepreneurs and innovators, Sarah E. Goode, and Leonard C. Bailey. Sarah E. Goode obtained a patent in 1885 for a cabinet folding bed. The cabinet bed (patent number 322, 177) served as a desk that could be transformed and unfolded into a bed. It was designed with an appreciation of the small spaces in which many African Americans lived. In 1899, Leonard C. Bailey invented and patented his folding bed for use in hospitals (patent number 629, 286). He also noted the bed was practical for storage and easy transport.
These pioneers helped set the stage for further ‘blackpreneurship,’ as their attainments affirm the notion that with hard work and opportunity, much can be accomplished. And it is with their legacies in our heart that we review bedding accessories from black owned brands. These include linens, duvet/comforter covers, comforters, blankets, satin pillowcases, and bedding options from children and youth brands. You will find 50+ items. See the companies and product links below for additional details.
Some of the following are affiliate links (⇔). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the links in making a purchases.
- Lakay Designs (advertisement) offers a selection of African themed comforter sets.
- Negash Apparel (advertisements) offers African themed three piece duvet cover sets, and an Egyptian bedspread in the Treasury Room/Home Decor section.
- Beddley offers a selection of 100% cotton duvet covers with a 300 thread count. Their patented technology makes inserting and removing the duvet easy and convenient. Nine colors are available, and sizes range from queen/full to king.
- Brown Girls Club offers a selection of culturally relevant items for children and youth that include microfiber comforter covers and matching pillowcases. Sizes range from twin to king.
- Creations By Shirelle offers a selection of thematic satin pillow cases.
- Decortege offers a satin Ankara bedding duvet cover set with three pieces. A silk and Ankara duvet cover set with six pieces is also available.
- Deluxe Designs offers a variety of comforters from size twin to king that are made of 100% premium microfiber polyester. Over 20 prints are available.
- Ebonnet by EboniCurls offers a selection of satin pillowcases in several colors and prints.
- Grace Eleyae offers a selection of satin pillowcases in several colors.
- IQ Studio offers a diverse selection of colorful and thematic duvet covers fashioned after such themes as a world map, music, and lion to name a few. Full to king sizes are available.
- Izzie & Liv offers a selection of 100% polyester fleece blankets with various cultural themes. Blankets are 50 x 60.
- Joon Africa offers a comforter and a duvet cover for children/youth that are rainbow safari themed. Both are extra large twin sized.
- Justina Blakeney has a selection of cotton duvet and quilt sets that are available at Target. Other duvet and quilt sets in various textiles can be found on the company website. Items come in full/queen and king. Products are also available on Amazon (Advertisement).
- Kweli TV offers “streaming for the culture” pillowcases in poly/cotton blend.
- Lifestyle Pillows offers a hair pillow. The pillow is designed for comfort, and suspends the head and neck such that hair is not compressed. Satin pillowcases consistent with the design are available in several colors.
- Little Muffincakes offers majestic blankets for babies that reflect their signature characters, Ashton and Zhara.
- Mess In A Bottle offers a microfiber comforter and pillow sham in black and white.
- Modern Figures Podcast offers a microfiber duvet cover that celebrates women and girls in computing.
- Muffin Sisters offers a selection of African print bedding setsconsisting of duvet covers and pillow cases. Ankara print blankets for adults, and baby blanket and pillow sets are also available.
- Natural Hair Shop offers a selection of satin pillowcases, some of which come with matching bonnets.
- Naturalsis 72 offers satin pillow case sets with matching and reversible bonnets.
- Pretty AnntoiNet’s offers a set of 100% Mulberry silk pillowcases.
- Robin Wilson Home offers a 500 thread sheet set in lilac, made of a cotton/polyester blend. Other 300 count sheet sets are available in multiple colors. The sets consists of 2 pillowcases, a fitted and flat sheet; and it is available in queen, king, and Cal king.
- Silked offers a selection of silk pillowcases and satin pillowcases.
- The Perfect Pillowcase offers their satin pillows and sheeting bed wrap, designed to keeps one’s head/hair on satin throughout sleep. It is 100% bridal satin, and available in several colors.
- Trendi Fashions Boutique offers a selection of bedding sets in various textiles and colors.
In reviewing these items, I hope you find bedding accessories that work for you.
Happy Shopping! Happy Black History Month!
ALSO, Shop With Leslie is offering a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find 1000+ inexpensive and fabulous items for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is 300+ items for $10.00 and less, 200+ items from $10.01 to $15.00, and 500+ items from $15.01 to $25.00. Great sales at 50% off are also posted. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! There will be updates and posts throughout the year. You can sign up HERE for the low cost of $4.95 per year. Or consider the following.Buy me a coffee
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- Essington, Amy. “Sarah E. Goode. (C 1855? – 1905).” 5 November, 2010. https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/goode-sarah-e-c-1855-1905/
- Sgamebelluri, Sabriana. “Leonard C. Bailey (1825 – 1918).” 16 July, 2018. https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/bailey-leonard-c-1825-1918/
- “L. C. Baily Folding Bed.” https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d1/9b/f5/3e6b35d5319580/US629286.pdf
- “Sarah E. Goode Cabinet Bed.” https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/0c/d4/20/e3dfe1d0327e7e/US322177.pdf