This post is dedicated to two African American entrepreneurs and innovators, Sarah E. Goode, and Leonard C. Bailey. Sarah E. Goode obtained a patent in 1885 for a cabinet folding bed. The cabinet bed (patent number 322, 177) served as a desk that could be transformed and unfolded into a bed. It was designed with an appreciation of the small spaces in which many African Americans lived. In 1899, Leonard C. Bailey invented and patented his folding bed for use in hospitals (patent number 629, 286). He also noted the bed was practical for storage and easy transport.
These pioneers helped set the stage for further ‘blackpreneurship,’ as their attainments affirm the notion that with hard work and opportunity, much can be accomplished. And it is with their legacies in our heart that we review bedding accessories from black owned brands. These include linens, duvet/comforter covers, comforters, blankets, satin pillowcases, and bedding options from children and youth brands. You will find 50+ items. See the companies and product links below for additional details.
Some of the following are affiliate links (⇔). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the links in making a purchases.
The following is a Sponsor of Shop With Leslie and we appreciate their support! We encourage you to click on their product links and explore.
|Art De La Tuile||Art De La Tuile offers a selection of duvet covers with matching pillow cases in several patterns that are based on the creativity and artwork of the owner. King, queen, and twin sized duvet covers are available. |
- Black Art Matters Shop (advertisement) offers a selection of comforters and duvet covers with a variety of cultural themes (e.g., HBCU and Locs) and in several sizes.
- Deluxe Designs (advertisement) offers a variety of comforters from size twin to king that are made of 100% premium microfiber polyester. Over 20 prints are available.
- DAMC Designs (advertisement) offers a selection of culturally themed blankets in three sizes that include birthday girl, those eyes, and relaxxx. Duvet covers in sizes twin, queen, and king are also available. Scroll down to find matching blankets. Examples include Grace, Sis, Around Midnight, Watcher, and Marye.
- Lakay Designs (advertisement) offers a selection of African among other themed comforter sets. Themes include music and sports. With 8 piece sets you can order CUSTOM BEDDING. Sets are available in multiple sizes.
- Lanre Studio (advertisement) offers a large selection of comforters, duvet covers, and pillow shams in multiple sizes.
- Morgan Harper Nichols (advertisement) offers a selection of comforters, duvet covers, and pillow shams in multiple sizes.
- Negash Apparel (advertisements) offers African themed three piece duvet cover sets, and an Egyptian bedspread in the Treasury Room/Home Decor section.
- The Pairabirds (advertisement) offers a selection of duvet covers, comforters, and matching pillow shams, some of which are suitable for children and youth.
- Tiare Smith Designs (advertisement) offers a selection of duvet covers, comforters, and matching pillow shams.
- Vashti Harrison (advertisement) offers a selection of comforters and duvet covers in several sizes that are well suited for children and youth.
- Beddley offers a selection of 100% cotton duvet covers with a 300 thread count. Their patented technology makes inserting and removing the duvet easy and convenient. Nine colors are available, and sizes range from queen/full to king.
- Brown Girls Club offers a selection of culturally relevant items for children and youth that include microfiber comforter covers and matching pillowcases. Sizes range from twin to king.
- Decortege offers a satin Ankara bedding duvet cover set with three pieces. A silk and Ankara duvet cover set with six pieces is also available.
- Izzie & Liv offers a selection of 100% polyester fleece blankets with various cultural themes. Blankets are 50 x 60.
- Joon Africa offers a comforter and a duvet cover for children/youth that are rainbow safari themed. Both are extra large twin sized.
- Justina Blakeney has a selection of cotton duvet and quilt sets that are available at Target. Other duvet and quilt sets in various textiles can be found on the company website. Items come in full/queen and king. Products are also available on Amazon (Advertisement).
- Lifestyle Pillows offers a hair pillow. The pillow is designed for comfort, and suspends the head and neck such that hair is not compressed. Satin pillowcases consistent with the design are available in several colors.
- Little Muffincakes offers majestic blankets for babies that reflect their signature characters, Ashton and Zhara.
- Modern Figures Podcast offers a microfiber duvet cover that celebrates women and girls in computing.
- Muffin Sisters offers a selection of African print bedding setsconsisting of duvet covers and pillow cases. Ankara print blankets for adults, and baby blanket and pillow sets are also available.
- Natural Hair Shop offers a selection of satin pillowcases, some of which come with matching bonnets.
- Robin Wilson Home offers a 500 thread sheet set in lilac, made of a cotton/polyester blend. Other 300 count sheet sets are available in multiple colors. The sets consists of 2 pillowcases, a fitted and flat sheet; and it is available in queen, king, and Cal king.
- The Perfect Pillowcase offers their satin pillows and sheeting bed wrap, designed to keeps one’s head/hair on satin throughout sleep. It is 100% bridal satin, and available in several colors.
In reviewing these items, I hope you find bedding accessories that work for you.
Happy Shopping! Happy Black History Month!
ALSO, Shop With Leslie is offering a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find 1000+ inexpensive and fabulous items for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is 300+ items for $10.00 and less, 200+ items from $10.01 to $15.00, and 500+ items from $15.01 to $25.00. Great sales at 50% off are also posted. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! There will be updates and posts throughout the year. You can sign up HERE for the low cost of $4.95 per year. Or consider the following.Buy me a coffee
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- Essington, Amy. “Sarah E. Goode. (C 1855? – 1905).” 5 November, 2010. https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/goode-sarah-e-c-1855-1905/
- Sgamebelluri, Sabriana. “Leonard C. Bailey (1825 – 1918).” 16 July, 2018. https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/bailey-leonard-c-1825-1918/
- “L. C. Baily Folding Bed.” https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d1/9b/f5/3e6b35d5319580/US629286.pdf
- “Sarah E. Goode Cabinet Bed.” https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/0c/d4/20/e3dfe1d0327e7e/US322177.pdf