This post is dedicated to two African American entrepreneurs and innovators, Sarah E. Goode, and Leonard C. Bailey. Sarah E. Goode obtained a patent in 1885 for a cabinet folding bed. The cabinet bed (patent number 322, 177) served as a desk that could be transformed and unfolded into a bed. It was designed with an appreciation of the small spaces in which many African Americans lived. In 1899, Leonard C. Bailey invented and patented his folding bed for use in hospitals (patent number 629, 286). He also noted the bed was practical for storage and easy transport.
These pioneers helped set the stage for further black entrepreneurship, as their attainments affirmed the notion that with hard work and opportunity, much can be accomplished. And it is with their legacies in our heart that we review bedding accessories from black owned brands. These include linens, duvet/comforter covers, comforters, blankets, satin pillowcases, and bedding options from children and youth brands. You will find 100+ items. See the companies and product links below for additional details.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the links in making a purchases.
The following is a Sponsor of Shop With Leslie and we appreciate their support! We encourage you to click on their product links and explore.
|Art De La Tuile||Art De La Tuile offers a selection of duvet covers with matching pillow cases in several patterns that are based on the creativity and artwork of the owner. King, queen, and twin sized duvet covers are available. |
- A. Noelle Jay Shop (advertisement) offers a selection of artistic comforters, duvet covers, and blankets in multiple sizes that celebrate nature.
- Aphro Chic @Perigold (advertisement) offers a selection of 300 thread count cotton sateen sheet sets that include a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and two pillow cases for queen and king sizes. One pillow case is include with twin size sets. A selection of duvet covers are also available.
- B. Smith (advertisement) offers a selection of down pillows. Five and seven piece comforter sets are also available as well as a duck down comforter.
- Black Art Matters Shop (advertisement) offers a selection of comforters and duvet covers with a variety of cultural themes (e.g., HBCU and Locs) and in several sizes.
- By Brije (advertisement) offers a selection of artistic comforters, duvet covers, and matching pillow shams.
- Chocolate Ancestor (advertisement) offers a selection of comforters, duvet covers, and matching pillow shams. Use the discount code leslie at checkout.
- Delux Designs (advertisement) offers a variety of comforters and duvet covers. Matching pillow shams are also available.
- Dorcas Creates (advertisement) offers a large selection of comforters, duvet covers, and pillow shams.
- Jennifer Nikcole Pope (advertisement) offers a selection of comforters, duvet covers, and pillow shams.
- Justina Blakeney (advertisement) has a selection of cotton duvet and quilt sets that are available at Target.
- Lanre Studio (advertisement) offers a large selection of comforters, duvet covers, and pillow shams in multiple sizes.
- Morgan Harper Nichols (advertisement) offers a selection of comforters, duvet covers, and pillow shams in multiple sizes.
- MySteek Naturals (advertisement) offers a 100% messaline satin pillowcase that comes in several colors.
- Negash Apparel (advertisements) offers African themed three piece duvet cover sets, and an Egyptian bedspread in the Treasury Room/Home Decor section.
- Off White (advertisement) offers a selection of double bed sets that include a duvet cover, pillow cases, and matching sheet.
- Sheila Bridges (advertisement) developed her Harlem Toile de Jouy as a clapback against African American stereotypes. Her signature Harlem Toile de Jouy pattern is available as a bed or headboard in several sizes (i.e., twin, full, queen, king), designs (i.e., square back and art deco), as well as in several colors. Harlem Toile de Jouy is listed as a “conversational” pattern.
- The Pairabirds (advertisement) offers a selection of duvet covers, comforters, and matching pillow shams, some of which are suitable for children and youth.
- Thomcat 23 (advertisement) offers a selection of duvet covers, comforters, and matching pillow shams.
- Tiare Smith Designs (advertisement) offers a selection of duvet covers, comforters, and matching pillow shams.
- Trendi Fashions Boutique (advertisement) offers a selection of bedding sets in various textiles, colors, and sizes.
- Ulli Home (advertisement) offers a selection of duvet covers in several sizes that are from light weight ultra soft wrinkle free microfibre fabric. Matching pillow shams are also available.
- Vashti Harrison (advertisement) offers a selection of comforters and duvet covers in several sizes that are well suited for children and youth. Matching pillow shams are also available.
- Beddley offers a selection of 100% cotton duvet covers with a 300 thread count. Their patented technology makes inserting and removing the duvet easy and convenient. Nine colors are available, and sizes range from queen/full to king.
- Brown Girls Club offers a selection of culturally relevant items for children and youth that include microfiber comforter covers and matching pillowcases. Sizes range from twin to king.
- Decortege offers a satin Ankara bedding duvet cover set with three pieces. A silk and Ankara duvet cover set with six pieces is also available.
- Izzie & Liv offers a selection of 100% polyester fleece blankets with various cultural themes. Blankets are 50 x 60.
- Justina Blakeney has a selection of duvet and quilt sets in various textiles. Items come in full/queen and king. Products are also available on Amazon (Advertisement).
- Lifestyle Pillows offers a hair pillow. The pillow is designed for comfort, and suspends the head and neck such that hair is not compressed. Satin pillowcases consistent with the design are available in several colors.
- Little Muffincakes offers majestic blankets for babies that reflect their signature characters, Ashton and Zhara.
- Modern Figures Podcast offers a microfiber duvet cover that celebrates women and girls in computing.
- Natural Hair Shop offers a selection of satin pillowcases, some of which come with matching bonnets.
- Robin Wilson Home offers bed sheets that range from a thread count of 300 – 800. A microfiber sheet set is also available.
In reviewing these items, I hope you find bedding accessories that work for you.
Happy Shopping! Happy Black History Month!
ALSO, Shop With Leslie is offering a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find thousands of inexpensive and fabulous items for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is items for $10.00 and less, items from $10.01 to $15.00, and items from $15.01 to $25.00. Great sales at 50% off are also posted. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! There will be updates and posts throughout the year. You can sign up HERE for the low cost of $12.00 per year. Or consider the following.Buy me a coffee
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like and Share our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- Essington, Amy. “Sarah E. Goode. (C 1855? – 1905).” 5 November, 2010. https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/goode-sarah-e-c-1855-1905/
- Sgamebelluri, Sabriana. “Leonard C. Bailey (1825 – 1918).” 16 July, 2018. https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/bailey-leonard-c-1825-1918/
- “L. C. Baily Folding Bed.” https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d1/9b/f5/3e6b35d5319580/US629286.pdf
- “Sarah E. Goode Cabinet Bed.” https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/0c/d4/20/e3dfe1d0327e7e/US322177.pdf