Updated February 4, 2023
There are many (40+) deodorant options linked in this post from black owned brands. They are made with healthful and natural ingredients. These include arrow root, burdock root, baking soda, coconut oil, magnesium oil, charcoal, aloe vera, Shea butter, beeswax, and essential oils. Some of these deodorants are specifically designated for men.
There have been concerns about the chemicals in deodorants and antiperspirants for over a decade. Though alerts about the use of aluminum complexes (e.g., aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum-zirconium), and the relationships to cancer and dementia have not panned out amid weak scientific evidence, the Federal Drug Administration has banned triclosan for use in anti-bacterial soaps. Though triclosan may still be used in deodorants/antiperspirants. Other concerns include the ill effects of parabens and phthalates in deodorants and antiperspirants, on health and the environment. See the following company and product links below.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For these advertisements, at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the links in making a purchase.
- 4 Bella Naturale (advertisement) offers 2 deodorants that are free of aluminum and paraben, and made with probiotics that help to fight odor causing bacteria.
- Alaffia also offers deodorants on Amazon (advertisement).
- Garner’s Garden (advertisement) offers a large selection of magnesium, charcoal, and natural deodorants.
- Harper’s Naturals (advertisement) offers a natural deodorant that is free of aluminum and made with coconut oil, arrowroot powder, among other healthful ingredients. It is available in several scents, as well as unscented.
- Lizzie’s All Natural (advertisement) offers a baking soda free natural deodorant in 2 scents that is also free of paraben and aluminum. Use the code LESLIE to receive a 10% discount.
- Play Pits @ Target (advertisement) has deodorants for adults and children made with natural ingredients.
- PiperWai (advertisement) offers a selection of natural deodorants made with activated charcoal and essential oils. These include a deodorant cream, several sticks, and an underarm oil.
- Smell Good Spa (advertisement) offers a variety of deodorants that include an essentials deodorant stick, a deodorant powder, and a King deodorant for men. Sample sizes are available. Use the code leslie in the Shopping Cart for a 15% discount.
- Touch of Shea (advertisement) has a selection of natural deodorants in diverse scents with several purchase options.
- BLK + GRN (advertisement) offers a wide selection of products from black owned brands. USE the discount code shopwithleslie to receive your benefits when shopping for aluminum free deodorants.
- Body and Soul Naturally offers a selection of natural deodorants for men and women including an armpit detox paste.
- Cream & Coco offers a selection of 6 deodorant milk mists made with a variety of natural ingredients.
- Freedom Paper Company offers an all natural, baking soda free shield deodorant, and a charcoal activated extra strength protect deodorant.
- Granny’s Natural Products offers a natural deodorant with activated charcoal that is available scented and unscented.
- Lather & More offers a selection of 7 natural deodorants, including two designated for men, made with coconut oil, Shea butter, and more.
- Luxurious Lathers offers vegetable deodorants in lavender and unscented that are made with coconut oil, Shea butter, and more.
- Naked Bar Soap Co. offers different types of deodorants, including an armpit detox, pit cream options, and twist up selections.
- Oyin Handmade offers a funk butter scented and unscented made with baking soda, Shea butter, and more.
- Pardo Naturals offers a coco shea deodorant, made with coconut oil, Shea butter, and more. A magnesium oil deodorant is also available.
- Play Pits offers a selection of natural deodorants for children, men, and women. Plat Pits is also on Amazon (advertisement).
- Soleil Essentials offers a lavender + sandalwood natural deodorant made with activated charcoal, lavender and sandalwood essential oils.
- The Shea Shack offers a “straight out of the earth” bentonite clay deodorant made with bentonite clay, Shea butter, and more. It comes in vegan and regular.
- Zandra Beauty offers a selection of probiotic deodorants in several scents made with arrowroot powder, beeswax, and more.
In reviewing these companies and products I hope you find natural and healthful deodorants that work for you!
Also, check out Shop With Leslie’s online store where you will find eco friendly clothing and accessories. Shipping is free! Select merchandise is featured below.
Shop With Leslie also has ETSY and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find my Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A mixture of products is provided below.
- Environmental Work Group. “Skin Deep Cosmetics Database.” https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
- Heid, Markham. “Why your deodorant might be making you tired, flabby, and impotent.” 9 February, 2018. https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19547802/deodorant-health-risks-fragrance-chemicals-phthalates-styrene-0/
- Heid, Markham. “5 things wrong with your deodorant.” 5 July, 2016. https://time.com/4394051/deodorant-antiperspirant-toxic/
- Kodjak, Allison. “FDA bans triclosan and 19 chemicals used in antibacterial soaps.” 2 September, 2016. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/09/02/492394717/fda-bans-19-chemicals-used-in-antibacterial-soaps
- Severino, Camille. “11 natural deodorant benefits: smell fresh with no risks.” https://bettermindbodysoul.com/natural-deodorant-benefits/
- Stoiber, Tasha. “What are parabens, and why don’t they belong in cosmetics?” 9 April, 2019. https://www.ewg.org/californiacosmetics/parabens
- Wikipedia. “Deodorant.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodorant