There have been concerns about the chemicals in deodorants and antiperspirants for over a decade. Though alerts about the use of aluminum complexes (e.g., aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum-zirconium), and the relationships to cancer and dementia have not panned out amid weak scientific evidence, the Federal Drug Administration has banned triclosan for use in anti-bacterial soaps. Though triclosan may still be used in deodorants/antiperspirants. Other concerns include the ill effects of parabens and phthalates in deodorants and antiperspirants, on health and the environment.
There are many (40+) deodorant options from black owned brands made with healthful and natural ingredients. These include arrow root, burdock root, baking soda, coconut oil, magnesium oil, charcoal, aloe vera, Shea butter, beeswax, and essential oils. Some of these deodorants are specifically designated for men. See the following company and product links for more details.
The table below represents SPONSORS of Shop With Leslie and we appreciate their support! You are encouraged to click their product links and explore!
Sponsor Product Information Bree & Milly Bree & Milly offers a natural deodorant made with Burdock root, coconut oil, and more. Garner's Garden Garner's Garden offers a unisex natural deodorant in two sizes. There are several options (extra or regular strength, and baking soda free). An activated charcoal deodorant is also available in regular and extra strength. Both are safe for adults and children.
Some of the following are affiliate links (⇔). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the links in making a purchase.
- Alaffia offers a selection of 7 deodorants made with charcoal, neem, lavender, and more.
- Alaffia also offers deodorants on Amazon ⇔.
Coconut Reishi Charcoal
- Bejia Flor Naturals offers a probiotic deodorant made with coconut oil, Shea, and more.
- BLK + GRN offers a selection of 10 deodorants which include underarm scrubs and an underarm mask, natural deodorant sticks for children and adults, charcoal and probiotic deodorants, and more.
- Body Butter Lady offers a magnesium oil deodorant that is available in several scents.
- Bubble Bistro offers a vegan deodorant that is available in several scents.
- Cream & Coco offers a selection of 6 deodorant milk mists made with a variety of natural ingredients.
- Daükens Arôme Co. offers a deodorant paste in several scents made with organic arrow root powder, coconut oil, and more.
- Eternile offers a passion spice spray on deodorant made with magnesium and essential oils, and an ever fresh deodorant paste made with organic Shea butter.
- Freedom Paper Company offers an all natural, baking soda free “shield” deodorant, and a charcoal activated extra strength “protect” deodorant.
- Granny’s Natural Products offers a natural deodorant with activated charcoal that is available scented and unscented.
- Lather & More offers a selection of 6 natural deodorants, including two designated for men, made with coconut oil, Shea butter, and more.
- Luxurious Lathers offers vegetable deodorants in lavender and unscented that are made with coconut oil, Shea butter, and more.
Support Black Owned Businesses through purchasing a Visa or MasterCard GIFT CARD ⇔HERE.
- Naked Bar Soap Co. offers a selection of deodorants, including an armpit detox, pit cream options, and twist up selections.
- Oshun Organics offern an aloderent deodorant, scented and unscented made with aloe vera juice and more.
- Oyin Handmade offers a funk butter scented and unscented made with baking soda, Shea butter, and more.
- Pardo Naturals offers a coco shea deodorant, made with coconut oil, Shea butter, and more. A magnesium oil deodorant is also available.
- Qhemet Biologics offers a sedge & bee natural deodorant made with coconut oil, beeswax, and more.
- Skinfolk offers a natural coconut clay deodorant made with coconut oil, Kaolin clay, and more.
- Soleil Essentials offers a lavender + sandalwood natural deodorant made with activated charcoal, lavender and sandalwood essential oils.
- The Shea Shack offers a straight out of the earth bentonite clay deodorant made with bentonite clay, Shea butter, and more. It comes in vegan and regular.
- Yadain Cultural Solutions offers a natural organic deodorant mist spray made with 100% Himalayan salt.
- Zandra Beauty offers a selection of probiotic deodorants in several scents made with arrowroot powder, beeswax, and more.
- Zuresh offers a natural deodorant made with sunflower, cocoa, and Shea butters among others.
In reviewing these companies and products I hope you find natural and healthful deodorants that work for you!
ALSO, Shop With Leslie offers a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find 1000+ inexpensive and fabulous items for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is 300+ items for $10.00 and less, 200+ items from $10.01 to $15.00, and 500+ items from $15.01 to $25.00. Great sales at 50% off are also posted. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! You can sign up HERE for the low cost of $4.95 per year.
Subscribe to our Blog (and Confirm by Email)
Like, Share, and Bookmark our Posts
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- Environmental Work Group. “Skin Deep Cosmetics Database.” https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
- Heid, Markham. “Why your deodorant might be making you tired, flabby, and impotent.” 9 February, 2018. https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19547802/deodorant-health-risks-fragrance-chemicals-phthalates-styrene-0/
- Heid, Markham. “5 things wrong with your deodorant.” 5 July, 2016. https://time.com/4394051/deodorant-antiperspirant-toxic/
- Kodjak, Allison. “FDA bans triclosan and 19 chemicals used in antibacterial soaps.” 2 September, 2016. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/09/02/492394717/fda-bans-19-chemicals-used-in-antibacterial-soaps
- Severino, Camille. “11 natural deodorant benefits: smell fresh with no risks.” https://bettermindbodysoul.com/natural-deodorant-benefits/
- Stoiber, Tasha. “What are parabens, and why don’t they belong in cosmetics?” 9 April, 2019. https://www.ewg.org/californiacosmetics/parabens
- Wikipedia. “Deodorant.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodorant