Head adornments are an African tradition. Find more than 50 black owned head and crown jewelry items below!
Crown jewelry goes back thousands of years and reflects several African cultures, not limited to the ancient Egyptians, Amazigh of North Africa, and the Maasai. Intricate hairstyles (e.g., cornrows and locks) in addition to head wraps adorned with jewelry, are other headdress traditions found throughout the African disapora. They can be worn for special occasions, cultural events, and to express your reign. There are many styles from which to choose. See the following company and product links for details.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For these advertisements, at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Brave Chick (advertisement) offers a diverse selection of head and crown jewelry.
Bailey and Ava Bespoke (advertisement) offers a variety of princess tiaras and crowns for children.
- Fantah Celah (advertisement) offers crowns made of copper and brass.
- Gemdrops & Glamrocks (advertisement) offers a large selection crown jewelry in their “head jewelry” and “hair crown jewelry” categories.
- Goddess Crowns (advertisement) offers a crystal Goddess crowns head piece made of cowrie, crystal beads, and copper wire. There are several gemstone options. A Goddess crowns head piece with cowrie and copper is also available.
- Neptune’s Mun (advertisement) has a selection of head and crown jewelry made of diverse materials that include gemstones and cowrie shells. Floral headpieces are crowns are available for children as well as adults.
- Afrikrea offers Zulu head jewelry, Mami Watta head pieces and a Queen of cowrie head piece.
- Cee Cee’s Closet offers gold and silver tone headdresses that works with head wraps, braids, and middle part hair styles.
- Elouinia Elantus Jewelry offers a Jainahba crown in gold- and silver-tone, and a Badu crown.
- Papyrus & Charms offers a selection of handmade crystal crowns with several options for adults and children (mini).
- Rue 107 offers handmade flower crowns in several colors.
- Tru Face By Grace offers a divers selection of crown jewelry with multiple colors and textures.
- Uniquely Wired offers a selection of crown jewelry made with copper and crystals.
In reviewing these head and crown jewelry items, I hope you find styles that work for you.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie has Etsy and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find my Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A mixture of products is provided below.
For more information see the following sources.
- Moroney, Morgan. “Egyptian jewelry: A window into ancient culture.” https://www.arce.org/resource/egyptian-jewelry-window-ancient-culture
- Celindro, Jazzy. “Ethnography of Morrocco: Amazigh (berber) jewelry. 2018, June 7. https://www.terraadorn.com/blogs/artisans-culture/ethnography-of-morocco-amazigh-berber-jewelry
- Matshego, Lebo. “A history of African women’s hairstyles.” 2019, June 18. https://www.africa.com/history-african-womens-hairstyles/
- Zuru Kenya. “Kenya’s Cultural Symbol; The Massai tribe.” https://zurukenya.com/2013/07/26/kenyas-cultural-symbol-the-maasai/