The phrase “Black Girl Magic” originated from the work of CaShawn Thompson in 2013 to celebrate and lend voice to the achievements and positive attributes of black women. The idea was to celebrate Black Girl Magic (e.g., poise, talents, aspirations) while also acknowledging the subversive contexts for which black women and girls navigate to glean their accomplishments. It quickly evolved into a popular movement. Despite an onslaught of critics, the popularity of “Black Girl Magic” persists! This has been aided (in my opinion) by the positivity and power of the message, the surge in venues providing advocacy, acknowledgement, support, and opportunities for black women and girls (e.g., social media groups and influencers, non-profits); and by widespread and commercial use of the phrase. As such in this post, I review ways you can support, express, and bask in Black Girl Magic with black authors and brands. That is through diverse accessories, apparel, books, journals, and more.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Elouise & Ethel offers a black girl magic charm bundle in enamel and 14k gold vermeil.
- Izzy & Liv offers black girl magic socks with a bottom grip.
- Legendary Rootz offers a selection of iPhone cases that read “own your black girl magic.”
- Party Patch Club offers a black girl magic patch in addition to “melanin magic” patches.
- Power Decals offers a set of nail decals (5 per set) that include black girl magic, “resist,” and other culturally relevant symbols.
- Radical Dreams offers a selection of black girl magic key chains, patches, and lapel pins too.
- The Pink Locket offers black girl magic jewelry dishes.
- Effie’s Paper (advertisement) offers a selection of black girl magic apparel that includes hoodies and a tee-shirt.
- Hellwig By Tikia offers a black girl magic ragland shirt and leggings in black and white.
- Izzy & Liv offer an over sized black girl magic sleep shirt.
- The Trini Gee offers a black girl magic tee shirt embedded with several patches that also include black lives matter and black is beautiful. It is available in multiple colors.
- Legendary Rootz offers a selection of black girl magic apparel which includes, hoodies, tee-, and sweat-shirts.
- Mess In A Bottle offers a selection of black girl magic apparel that include tee- and sweat-shirts.
- Mocha Design Studio offers a black girl magic sweatshirt in black or navy.
- Power In Black offers a selection of black girl magic apparel that includes tee- and sweat-shirts, a tank top and zip up jacket.
Bags and Totes
- Effie’s Paper (advertisement) offers a large black girl magic tote bag made of Egyptian cotton. A makeup bag is also offered.
- The Trini Gee offers a black girl magic pouch in two sizes. A tote bag is also available.
Notebooks/Journals and Planners/Books
- Effie’s Paper (advertisement) offers a black girl magic notebook with a faux leather cover and ribbon bookmark.
- Eso Won Books offers diverse black girl magic books that include affirmations, lined journals and notebooks, and novels.
- EyeSeeMee (advertisement) offers Black Girl Magic: A Poem, and two coloring books: Black Girl Magic Children’s Coloring Book, and Black Girl Magic Coloring Book.
- Pyramid Books offers a selection of black girl magic notebooks and planners.
- The Trini Gee offers a black girl magic spiral notebook.
Travel Mugs & Drink Ware
- Effie’s Paper (advertisement) offers a black girl magic travel tumbler in black with a gold lid.
- Curly Contessa offers a black girl magic pint glass and coffee mug.
- The Trini Gee offers a black girl magic travel tumbler with cultural phrases.
In reviewing these companies and products, I hope you find Black Girl Magic items that works for you.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie offers a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find 1000+ inexpensive and fabulous items for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is 300+ items for $10.00 and less, 200+ items from $10.01 to $15.00, and 500+ items from $15.01 to $25.00. Great sales at 50% off are also posted. We do the legwork so you don’t have to! You can sign up HERE for the low cost of $4.95 per year. Or, consider the following.Buy me a coffee
If you would liked more information about the Black Girl Magic movement see the following sources.
- “Black Girl Magic.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Girl_Magic
- Jones, Feminista. “For CaShawn Thompson, black girl magic was always the truth.” 8 February, 2019. https://www.beaconbroadside.com/broadside/2019/02/for-cashawn-thompson-black-girl-magic-was-always-the-truth.html