Hand hygiene is important in keeping viruses, germs, and infections at bay. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) one should wash their hands for at least 20 seconds. Keeping the hands well moisturized is also necessary. Washing one’s hands frequently can lead to cracked skin which can also increase your risk of contracting a disease. In keeping hands moisturized, it is important to use products that are designated for the hands.
In this post we review moisturizers for the hands from black owned brands. We also include Shea butter oil as this has even greater moisturizing properties than Shea butter. There are MANY options from black owned brands. These include products specifically designated for the hands, or products designated for BOTH the hands and body. See the company and product links below for details.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the advertisement in making a purchase.
- Anita Grant (advertisement) offers Shea butter oil in two sizes. See the products below for details.
- Shea Butter Oil
- Price: $8.35
- Shea Butter Oil
- Price: $4.75
- Alaffia (advertisement) offers a variety of hand soaps and hand and body moisturizers made with Shea butter and other moisturizing ingredients.
- Bolden (advertisement) offers a vanilla Shea moisturizing oil.
- Garner's Garden (advertisement) offers an organic hand cream in different scents. Natural alcohol hand sanitizers and a hand soap are also available.
- Lizzie's All Natural Products (advertisement) offers a cinnamon hand sanitizer. Use the code LESLIE for a 10% discount.
- Piper Wai (advertisement) offers a selection of hand sanitizer gels made with aloe.
- Smell Good Spa (advertisement) offers several hand care products that include hand lotion and hand sanitizer. Use the code leslie in the Shopping Cart for a 15% discount.
- Urban Hydration (advertisement) offers a selection of hand creams in several scents. These include vanilla, rosehip, and lemon. Products are also available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Bel Nouvō offers a cocoa butter hand & body lotion made with organic cocoa butter.
- Bree & Milly offers a "keep them clean" hand sanitizer made with 90% isopropyl alcohol.
- Harizon offers a hand sanitizer made with Aloe Vera and locally sourced alcohol.
- Kreyòl Essence offers a selection of hand & body cremes.
- Mary Louise Cosmetics offers hand sanitizers made with ethyl alcohol, and with and without tea tree oil.
- Nandi's Naturals offers a hand & body lotion in various scents.
- Nyah offers a selection of hand & body lotions in various scents.
- Pardo Naturals offers an oatmeal hand & body lotion made with babassu oil and aloe butter.
- Zandra offers a hand & body lotion made with Shea butter, and jojoba oil.
In reviewing these hand care products, I hope you find one or more that work for you.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie has Etsy and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find my Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A mixture of products is provided below.
- Centeno, Antonio. "What's the difference between hand, face, & body lotion? Is it safe to use creams & moisturizers interchangeably?" https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/hand-body-lotions/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "When and how to wash your hands." https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html
- Gajanan, Mahita. "How to take care of your hands when you're washing them so much to prevent coronavirus." 11 March, 2020. https://time.com/5800275/covid-19-wash-hands-dry-skin-tips/
- Griffin, Monigho. "Shea oil v Shea butter." 11 December, 2018. https://sheaoil.co.uk/blogs/news/shea-oil-v-shea-butter