The spread of COVID-19 is more likely when people have close contact, as when living in the same household. To protect against the spread of the disease within households, the Centers For Disease Control (CDC) recommends using soap or detergent to clean dirty surfaces, and routine cleaning of surfaces that are touched often (e.g., desks, sinks, and phones). They further recommend that a disinfectant is used after cleaning. Finally, it is recommended that when cleaning and disinfecting, either disposable gloves are used, or reusable gloves only for these purposes.
In this post, we review soap and detergent products for cleaning from black owned brands. While soaps tend to be more biodegradable than detergents, many of the companies reviewed here incorporate natural and planet friendly ingredients into their products irrespective of type. We also provide links to disinfectants. Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Karmalades (advertisement) uses natural, sulfate free, and biodegradable ingredients. Products are in glass jars to decrease landfill. Cleaning products include a dish washing liquid and scrubbing souffles.
- Laura Kay Innovations offers a 3 in 1 germ and virus fighting multi surface cleaner with hydrogen peroxide.
- Pardo Naturals is a line of natural products for the body, hair, and home. Cleaning products include a dish washing liquid, natural glass cleaner, and scrubbing paste in several scents.
- Pur Home offers natural and eco-friendly cleaning products. These include dish soaps, disinfectant sprays, laundry detergents and a multipurpose cleaner.
- Soap Daddy offers a variety of kitchen and sanitation products that include a dish daddy liquid cleaner, and a Proxy D disinfectant.
- The Green Laundress offers natural and eco-friendly cleaning products that include a multi-purpose cleaner and tub scrub.
In reviewing these cleaning products, I hope you find one or more that work for you.
Stay Safe and Healthy!
ALSO, Shop With Leslie has an ETSY Store with merchandise celebrating culture. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our merchandise atShopWithLeslieBlog. A selection is provided below. FREE shipping.
- Byju’s The Learning App. “Difference between soap and detergent.” https://byjus.com/chemistry/difference-between-soap-and-detergent/
- Centers For Disease Control. “Cleaning and disinfection for households.” https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cleaning-disinfection.html
- Centers For Disease Control. “Cleaning and disinfecting your home.” https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/disinfecting-your-home.html
- Citroner, George. “How to clean and kill COVID-19, but avoid harsh chemicals.” 8 April, 2020. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-cleaning-products-work-to-kill-covid-19