Updated May 9, 2023
There has been a lot of information circulated about challenges brown and darker skin women have in finding the right shade of foundation. Therefore I reviewed foundation options offered at black owned makeup brands, and found most had foundation shades that covered the full spectrum of hues. There are numerous foundation products in rich and varied shades of chocolate from medium to dark brown to espresso that offered light to full coverage. And most companies reviewed here had at least 5 shades for diverse chocolate hues. Furthermore, tips and/or samples are offered to help customers find the right shade. Foundation products include liquid, mineral, creme, stick, and powder forms.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Fashion Fair Cosmetics @Sephora (advertisement) has more than 15 shades of foundation for chocolate skin that includes crème to powder and skinflex stick foundations.
- Juvia’s Place (advertisement) offers an “I am velvety” matte foundation with at least 13 shades for chocolate skin.
- Laws of Nature (advertisement) offers several types of foundations with deep chocolate hues.
- Pat McGrath Labs (advertisement) offers “skin fetish: sublime perfect” foundations in deep chocolate hues, at least 5. Foundations are formulated with a vita serum complex to prevent the formation of wrinkles. Foundations are also available at Sephora(advertisement).
- Valana Minerals (advertisement) offers creme foundations and samples in several chocolate skin tones. Find more than 20 shades for chocolate skin.
- Baabs Beauty offers “hi definition” HD foundations that contain collagen in at least 5 shades in chocolate/brown hues.
- Beauty Bakerie offers “instabake aqua glass” foundations with several shades in darker hues. The vegan formula offers full coverage. Select “instabake aqua glass” foundations are also available at Ulta (advertisement).
- BLK/OPL offers several types of foundations. This includes the skin perfecting stick foundations with at least 12 shades in dark chocolate tones. It is enriched in vitamins C and E and has an SPF of 15. Pore perfecting liquid foundations are also available. They are enriched with vitamins C and E, and 9 shades are available in deep chocolate shades. A mineral matte creme powder foundation is also available with 8 shades in the deep chocolate range. It has an SPF of 15 and is enriched with vitamins C and E. Finally, an even true flawless foundation is offered that hydrates the skin. Five brown hues are available. Products are available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Danessa Myricks Beauty has multiple foundations for chocolate hues. Foundations are also available at Sephora (advertisement).
- Hue Noir offers “true hues flawless finish” foundations in multiple deep chocolate hues. It is a medium coverage and crease resistant matte finish formula that is vegan and cruelty free. Products are also available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Iman Cosmetics offers several foundations with brown hues. Foundations are available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Luv + Co. has an extensive selection of foundations (mineral, liquid, and matte) with 15+ foundations for chocolate skin.
In reviewing these foundations, I hope you find shades that work for you. Happy shopping!
ALSO, Shop With Leslie has Etsy and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find my Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A mixture of products is provided below.