There has been a lot of information circulated about challenges brown and darker skin women have in finding the right shade of foundation. Therefore I reviewed foundation options offered at 18 black owned makeup brands, and found most had foundation shades that covered the full spectrum of hues. I counted at least 200 foundation products in rich and varied shades of chocolate from medium to dark brown to espresso that offered light to full coverage. And, the companies reviewed here had at least 5 shades for diverse chocolate hues. Furthermore, tips and/or samples are offered to help customers find the right shade. Foundation products included liquid, mineral, creme, stick, and powder forms.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Laws of Nature (advertisement) offers several types of “foxy finish” foundations with at least 10 of each in the deeper chocolate hues. This includes a selection of mineral creme foundations enriched with botanical ingredients and vitamin E, mineral loose foundations that helps even out the skin tone, and creme to powder foundations formulated with vitamin B5 to hydrate and promote healthy looking skin. Sample sets are also available. Use the code LESLIE when placing your order.
- Valana Minerals (advertisement) offers a selection of natural loose crushed mineral powder “stardust luxury foundations” in at least 8 shades in the deeper chocolate range as pictured below.
- Valana Minerals (advertisement) also offers "premium performance" creme foundations formulated with green tea and pomegranate extract along with aloe vera juice and coconut oil to moisturize the skin, again in at least 8 deeper chocolate shades as pictured below.
- Stardust luxury sample foundations as well as premium performance sample foundations are available from Valana Minerals (advertisement).
- Pat McGrath Labs (advertisement) offers "skin fetish: sublime perfect" foundations in deep chocolate hues, at least 5. Foundations are formulated with a vita serum complex to prevent the formation of wrinkles. The foundations are also available at Sephora(advertisement).
- The Lip Bar (advertisement) offers skin serum foundations with at least 9 shades in chocolate/brown hues. Foundations are infused with hyaluronic acid and come with a built in brush. Free samples are also available.
- Baabs Beauty offers "hi definition" HD foundations that contain collagen in at least 5 shades in chocolate/brown hues.
- Beauty Bakerie offers "instabake aqua glass" foundations with at least 7 shades in darker hues. The vegan formula offers full coverage. The "instabake aqua glass" foundations are also available at Ulta (advertisement).
- BLK/OPL offers several types of foundations. This includes the skin perfecting stick foundations with at least 12 shades in dark chocolate tones. It is enriched in vitamins C and E and has an SPF of 15. Pore perfecting liquid foundations are also available. They are enriched with vitamins C and E, and 9 shades are available in deep chocolate shades. A mineral matte creme powder foundation is also available with 8 shades in the deep chocolate range. It has an SPF of 15 and is enriched with vitamins C and E. Finally, an even true flawless foundation is offered that hydrates the skin. Five brown hues are available. Products are available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Blac Minerals offers a mineral foundation with at least 5 chocolate hues. Sheer to full coverage is provided.
- Diba by Dibawssette offers full coverage cushion foundations that are water resistant, contain vitamins C and E, Jojoba and Chenopodium Quinoa seed extracts. Five shades of chocolate hues are available. Cushion foundations are available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Hue Noir offers "true hues flawless finish" foundations in at least 10 deep chocolate hues. It is a medium coverage and crease resistant matte finish formula that is vegan and cruelty free. Products are also available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Iman Cosmetics offers several foundations with brown hues. These include the "second to none" luminous powder foundation (5 hues) that contains vitamin E, the second to none creme to powder full coverage foundation (5 shades), and a luxury concealing foundation (5 shades), that provides long lasting full coverage. All three foundation products are available on Amazon (advertisement).
- Jacque Mgido offers a liquid foundation in several brown hues (at least 5) that contains safflower oil, vitamin E, and hyaluronic acid for soothing and moisturizing the skin.
- Joy Lorraine offers a "picture perfect" creme foundation (with at least 5 chocolate shades) that is made with coconut and sunflower oil and provides full coverage.
- Juvia's Place offers an "I am velvety" matte foundation with at least 13 shades for chocolate skin. It provides lightweight and lasting coverage. Their "I am magic" foundation offers a soft matte finish and has at least 10 chocolate shades. These are available at Ulta(advertisement).
- Mented Cosmetics offers a foundation stick in at least 7 shades of chocolate. Foundations are hydrating and lightweight.
- Omolewa offers an oil free, water based liquid foundation that has an SPF of 15. There are 10 shades of chocolate.
- Range Beauty offers a hydrating foundation with vitamin E and argan oil with sheer to medium coverage. There are at least 5 chocolate shades. Foundation samples are also available.
- Uoma Beauty offers a "say what?" foundation that hydrates the skin and provides a matte finish. There are 6 shades in the chocolate range. These foundations are also available at Ulta(advertisement).
- Vera Moore Cosmetics has a creme foundation in 7 shades of chocolate that offers medium to full coverage.
In reviewing these foundation, I hope you find shades that work for you. Happy shopping!
Also, Shop With Leslie offers a Premium Content section with Buying Guides and Sales Information. You will find thousands of inexpensive and fabulous items for $25.00 and less from black owned companies. That is items for $10.00 and less, items from $10.01 to $15.00, and items from $15.01 to $25.00. Great sales at 50% off are also posted. We do the legwork so you don't have to! You can sign up HERE for the low cost of $12.00 per year. Or, consider the following.Buy me a coffee