Shampoo bars are convenient, cost-effective, and good for the environment. Shampoo bars take up less space and are great for travel. They are also durable, and can last for up to 80 washes. Consistent with zero waste practices, less processing is required for the production of shampoo bars, and they come in smaller and paper packaging, making the waste for these products recyclable and biodegradable.
In this post, we review shampoo bars from black owned brands. You will find several options made with healthful and moisturizing ingredients. See the company links and product tabs below for details. Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission, should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Afro Kinky Hair (advertisement) has a variety of shampoo bars made with healthful and growth promoting ingredients (e.g., Shea, babassu, and chebe powder).
- Anita Grant (advertisement) has a babassu shampoo bar for which there are several options (e.g., coconut and honey, peppermint). Two sizes are available.
- Garner’s Garden (advertisement) offers several shampoo bars made with a variety of moisturizing and natural ingredients, including those that promote hair growth.
- Hairston’s Naturals (advertisement) offers an ayurvedic shampoo bar with with aloe vera, grapeseed and argan oils.
- Kriya Botanicals (advertisement) offers a low porosity shampoo bar, and a shampoo bar rich in antioxidants.
- Self Care (advertisement) has many shampoo bars made with moisturizing and nourishing ingredients (e.g., sea moss, yucca root). Shampoo bars are available in sizes small, medium, and large.
- Unconditional Love By C (advertisement) has a selection of shampoo bars that are made with chebe and rice water. Samples sizes are available.
PREVIEW: A digital activity book for Kwanzaa and beyond. An Afrocentric approach to Family Bonding and Youth Development, which includes a downloadable companion packet with all activities. Bonus coloring pages are also included. The cost is $18.99. Learn more about this eBook HERE.
- Aari & Co. has shampoo bars with ingredients such as Shea butter, plantains, and hibiscus that restore and rejuvenate the hair.
- Bask & Bloom Essentials offers a shampoo bar that contains nourishing butters, oils, and clays (e.g., coconut, rhassoul, and bentonite).
- Hydratherma Naturals has an organic, scalp soothing shampoo bar made with peppermint and essential tea tree oils.
- Koils By Nature offers a selection of shampoo bars to replenish the hair and scalp. These include shampoo bars made with tea tree, sage, eucalyptus, and lavender.
- Oshun Organics offers a cleansing shampoo bar that includes pro vitamin B5 and polyquat-7. The shampoo bar is available in several options including nourishing coconut, lemongrass and rosemary.
- Pardo Naturals offers shampoo bars made with healthful and growth promoting ingredients such as turmeric, rice water, aloe vera, and coconut oil.
- Tina Kelly Brand offers shampoo bars made with rosemary and lavender among other healthful ingredients.
In reviewing these shampoo bars, I hope you find one or more that work for you.
Also, check out Shop With Leslie’s online store where you will find eco friendly clothing and accessories. Shipping is free! Select merchandise is featured below.
Shop With Leslie also has Etsy and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find my Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A mixture of products is provided below.
To learn more about the benefits of shampoo bars, check out the following sources.
- Adams, Ashley. “How to use a shampoo bar.” 12, June 2020. https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Shampoo-Bar
- Nanda, Gunjan. “Everything you need to know about shampoo bars.” 8 May, 2021. https://www.sustainthemag.com/wellness/everything-you-need-to-know-about-shampoo-bars