Shea butter is a great moisturizer loaded with vitamins (A, E, and F) along with other healthful ingredients (e.g., oleic acid). Shea butter can be used as a day or night cream for the face, and as a body moisturizer. Shea butter comes from the nut of the Shea tree which is native to Africa. In this post we focus on unrefined Shea butter from black owned brands.
Unrefined reflects how the butter is extracted from the nut. That is, without the use of chemicals (e.g., solvents) and preservatives. Manufacturing unrefined Shea butter is a time consuming process whereby the Shea nut is grounded, roasted, and boiled (often by hand in remote African villages). Unrefined Shea butter retains the emollient and nourishing properties, and is better for the skin. Depending on where it is grown (east versus west Africa), unrefined Shea butter is naturally ivory colored to yellowish. Unrefined Shea butter is best used within about 24 months of manufacture.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost to you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission, should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Awomi Naturals (advertisement) has unrefined Shea butter.
- NorthsheaLLC (advertisement) has options of unrefined Shea butter by weight (from 1/2 to 10 pounds).
- Shop Afro Cosmetics (advertisement) has an extensive selection of unrefined Shea butter in different sized containers and packages.
In reviewing these raw and unrefined Shea butters, I hope you find one or more than work for you.
Also, check out Shop With Leslie’s online store where you will find eco friendly clothing and accessories. Shipping is free! Select merchandise is featured below.
Shop With Leslie also has Etsy and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find my Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A mixture of products is provided below.
- Ames, Hana. “What are the benefits of Shea butter?” 21 April, 2021. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/shea-butter-benefits
- Watson, Kathryn. “Shea butter for your face: Uses and benefits.” 22 July, 2019. https://www.healthline.com/health/shea-butter-for-face
- Watson, Kathryn. “What is Shea butter? 22 reasons to add it to your routine.” 7 March, 2019. https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/what-is-shea-butter