The kaftan, also spelled caftan has been around for thousands of years. Kaftans are known to be loose fitting tunics that are collarless. They may be tops, maxi, or shorter dresses. Boubou dresses (also known as bubu) originate from west Africa. They are made from diverse textiles using one piece of fabric, that is folded in half in making the garment. Both come in many varieties such as cover ups or house robes, and as casual or formal wear. In this post, you will find this variety with kaftans and boubou dresses from black owned brands.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission, should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Afrocentric Bloom (advertisement) has diverse bubu dresses and kaftans made of silk or cotton.
- Alkebulan Lifestyle (advertisement) offers a variety of kaftans. These include chiffon Moroccan beaded kaftans, and African tribal kaftans.
- Basik Simplicity (advertisement) has a selection of boho kaftans in several prints.
- Eveth’s Fashion (advertisement) has a diverse selection of kaftans that include midi and maxi dresses, solids, and diverse prints.
- Faustaze Clothier (advertisement) offers kaftan and boubou dresses. These include silk boubou dresses and a plus sized cotton kaftan.
- Gmade Couture (advertisement) has a selection of kaftans and boubou dresses made of diverse prints and textiles.
- Kosipariel (advertisement) has an extensive selection of kaftans and bubu dresses that are hand tie dyed.
- Maison De Mode (advertisement) has kaftans made with sustainable materials.
- Necklaces By Amma (advertisement) offers a selection of boubou dresses made with diverse textiles.
- Priceless Culture (advertisement) has a selection of plus size kaftans in a variety of African prints. These include tops and dresses.
- Queen’s Landing Kaftans (advertisement) has a selection of colorful and artistic kaftans that are long and short.
- Cee Cee’s Closet offers caftan dresses in diverse African style prints.
- Eliza Christoph offers silk kaftan dresses in a variety of African prints.
- Izzy & Liv offer a selection of kaftans in several prints.
- Linda’s Things has kaftans that include silk maxi dresses, and one size fits all African print kaftans.
- Pink Sky Boutique has kaftans that include dresses in several prints, and tops in solid colors.
- Tracy Nicole offers color blocked caftans in black and white, and taupe and black.
- Ray Darten has a selection of 100% cotton, African print kaftans.
- Sai Sankoh has a large selection of culturally inspired kaftans in rich color patterns.
- Zellie for She offers plus size over the rainbow and Juliet kaftans.
In reviewing these kaftans, I hope you find one or more that work for you.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie has ETSY and Redbubble stores with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our Etsy merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog (free shipping). Find Redbubble merchandise here, ShopWithLeslieRedbubble. A cross section of products is provided below.
You can learn more about kaftans and boubou dresses from the following sources.
- Fincher, Tayana. 13 October, 2020. “West African Boubou.” West African Boubou – The Fashion and Race Database™
- “Kaftan.” 9 March, 2022. kaftan | Fashion History Timeline (fitnyc.edu)
- “Kaftan.” Kaftan – Wikipedia
- Rabine, Leslie W. “Boubou.” Boubou | LoveToKnow