The kaftan, also spelled caftan has been around for thousands of years. Kaftans are known to be loose fitting tunics that are collarless. They may be tops, maxi, or shorter dresses. Boubou dresses (also known as bubu) originate from west Africa. They are made from diverse textiles using one piece of fabric, that is folded in half in making the garment. Both come in many varieties such as cover ups or house robes, and as casual or formal wear. In this post, you will find this variety with kaftans and boubou dresses from black owned brands.
Some of the following are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no cost you, Shop With Leslie will receive a commission, should you use the advertisements in making a purchase.
- Alkebulan Lifestyle (advertisement) offers a variety of kaftans. These include chiffon Moroccan beaded kaftans, and African tribal kaftans.
- Eveth’s Fashion (advertisement) has a diverse selection of kaftans that include midi and maxi dresses, solids, and diverse prints.
- Faustaze Clothier (advertisement) offers kaftan and boubou dresses. These include silk boubou dresses and a plus sized cotton kaftan.
- Gmade Couture (advertisement) has a selection of kaftans and boubou dresses made of diverse prints and textiles.
- Kosipariel (advertisement) has an extensive selection of kaftans and bubu dresses that are hand tie dyed.
- Priceless Culture (advertisement) has a selection of plus size kaftans in a variety of African prints. These include tops and dresses.
- Queen’s Landing Kaftans (advertisement) has a selection of colorful and artistic kaftans that are long and short.
- Linda’s Things has kaftans that include silk maxi dresses, and one size fits all African print kaftans.
In reviewing these kaftans, I hope you find one or more that work for you.
ALSO, Shop With Leslie has an ETSY Store with merchandise celebrating culture and enterprise. Proceeds go towards supporting this blog. Check out our merchandise at ShopWithLeslieBlog. A selection is provided below. FREE shipping.
You can learn more about kaftans and boubou dresses from the following sources.
- Fincher, Tayana. 13 October, 2020. “West African Boubou.” West African Boubou – The Fashion and Race Database™
- “Kaftan.” 9 March, 2022. kaftan | Fashion History Timeline (fitnyc.edu)
- “Kaftan.” Kaftan – Wikipedia
- Rabine, Leslie W. “Boubou.” Boubou | LoveToKnow